Travelling is one of my passions. I’ve been very lucky to have travelled a lot. My parents are avid backpackers and when I was growing up we travelled as a family to some of the world’s most incredible (and poorest ) countries. Now I take every opportunity to travel and I just love experiencing other cultures, meeting amazing people and seeing the world from a different perspective.
Packing can be difficult when travelling, especially because I usually go for work as well as pleasure. But I always take these items.
1. Pashmina: My dad gave me this and I think of him when I wear it. It’s warm and comforting. I take it even if I’m travelling to warm climates and it’s saved me from freezing air conditioned rooms so many times.
2. Reusable bag: I hate plastic bags and always have a cute reusable bag with me so I can say, “I have my own bag” when shopping. I also take a refillable water bottle so I don’t buy plastic bottles.
3. Protein ball: At home I’m mostly vegan, when I’m travelling I’m a strict vegetarian so often I find it hard to find food I can eat (except in New York!). So I always have a protein bar which has served as my dinner or breakfast many times.
4. Kindle: I am an avid reader and never thought I could give up my printed books. But it’s so much easier to travel with a Kindle and now I couldn’t travel without it.
5. iPad mini: What can I say about this device. I love it. It’s my connection to the people I love in my life as well as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and work. If I leave it behind it’s a disaster!
6. Business cards: You never know when you can do business, so it’s always important to have a business card on hand.
7. Chanel Mademoiselle: My favourite perfume. This is a handy travel size which comes with me every day and every trip.
8. Torch: My sister always asks me “have you packed a torch”, so now it’s a habit:”Yes Jo, I have my torch”.
9. Lipstick: A girl needs her lipstick. One for day and one for night.
10. Lip balm: So necessary for long haul flights. Normally I have the organic non petrochemical brand, but this was all I could find and my local chemist before my latest trip.
11. Sunglasses: These are Michael Kors from New York. I will cry if I lose them. Or book a flight back to New York to get another pair…hmm maybe I should ‘accidentally’ lose them!
12. Mala: I love my crystals. They are very important part of my life. My very talented friend Eilish Bouchier designed this laboradiorite mala. (A mala is a form of meditation beads, where you say a mantra for each bead). Labraodorte is a very special crystal for me as it represents magic which so often happens when you are travelling.
13. BOSE noise cancelling headphones: These are in my handbag every day. I love them and don’t know what I ever did without them. I use them all the time when I’m travelling for music, for guided meditations as well as when I’m being interviewed. They are amazing.
What do you travel with? I’d love to know!